Some highlights of the new legislation:
- drivers cannot use handheld devices while driving. This includes cell phones as well as handheld entertainment devices such as iPods, Gameboys and so forth;
- drivers may use devices such as cell phones in hands-free mode;
- drivers cannot view display screens on devices unrelated to driving, such as DVDs or laptops. This does not include GPS systems;
- the use of such devices while off the roadway, not in motion and not impeding traffic is permitted;
- calls to 911 are exempted.
Fines for contravening these provisions range from $60 to $500. Police can also charge drivers with careless driving which has more serious penalties, including imprisonment.